View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Race Report 
AMA superstar

What I ride: .
Post Race Report
First ever race report, how exciting.

Peewee:
So yesterday was a complete downpour. As we readied the kid it started raining harder. We weren't sure if I was going to be able to ride in the kids group as a helper (I believe the correct term was 'track sweeper') until the very last minute which had prerace preparations in sudden craziness. They threw me a bright green vest and off we went. Got her to the line a couple of minutes before the start. They do starts kind of like supercross where they tell you 10 seconds and then drop the flag. The starter yelled OKAY 10 seconds! And my kid took off, prompting a group wide early start. :D Early in the course there was a short but steep (for 50's) downhill. She passed another little girl and I thought 'Hey she's not in last!'. That was to be short lived. The kids course was mostly in a grassy field, then a short stint that was slightly uphill in the woods. Well the woods was soup. A stream running down the trail in fact. Apparently the other kids have ridden in mud before because they made slow but steady progress. She's never ridden in such conditions. Me and another guy had to basically push her a large portion of the way. She was miserable but trying to keep her chin up. When she went by the timing tent, she yelled to the guy "the next lap I'm going to do all by myself!" good attitude, not to be. As it went on, she fell a few more times, bottomed out several times to where the back tire wasn't touching anymore in the soup, and bike kept running worse and worse. Add to the problems, the bike came with an engine shutoff switch that you can attach to the rider. Well that thing will actually shock you if you touch it. Normally she has on gloves so I didn't even think about it. Well now her gloves were wet and very conductive, and during the many restarts of her bike (getting on and off) she put her hand near it, giving her a very minor but soul crushing jolt. (I got a few zaps as well) Add to that as it went on and the bike became more water logged it stopped running right, causing her to only give the bike short bursts of throttle on some very deep ruts (it was kinda dying if you didn't), so she kept crisscrossing and struggling, and major arm pump. The bike was running so poorly it stalled about 5 times trying to ride it back to the pits after the race. It finially wouldn't really run at all about 200' from the truck. SHE DID FINISH THO and despite the disaster, had as good of an attitude about it as possible. Talk about being born in the fire. We bought her a tshirt, praised her up and down for finishing, lots of high fives, and told her the next one will be drier and easier. She's still super pumped to head to NYST for on and off road fun tho!

The course:
So to say the mountain was wet for the adults race today (but no rain!) was an understatement. The course was deep muddy ruts, wet roots and wet rocks. Surprisingly there wasn't any exceptionally hard elevation changes. (All though definitely a few challenging ones.) The mud seemed to actually have some grip in the 0-5 mph try to just make up to the top arena, I was surprised. Granted none of these challenges were really above my skill level, (The main event included had an even harder loop of the track) but the tricky thing was it was NONSTOP challenging. In addition, anywhere the course opened up wide, it was dozens and dozens of criss-crossing ruts everywhere.

Sun May 14, 2017 8:35 pm
AMA superstar

Post Re: Race Report
Performance:
I had alot of nerves sitting on the line, not fully knowing what to expect. I stalled the bike twice off the line, making me dead last from the start. Didn't really care tho. Got into the muddy field yelling at myself internally to take it easy, pace yourself, but the adrenaline of the moment was making ride at 75% instead of 50%. Got 3-4 not trying real hard passes in the grassy section. maybe another 1 or two in the very first minute or two in the woods, and shortly thereafter- Debilitating arm pump. The entire race just had people pulled off resting everywhere. All through lap one and two it was turn, turn, up hill down hill maybe another turn, REST and repeat. It was getting bad. I literally couldn't pull the clutch in at times. Much like Eskimos brain recently yelling at him Go F'n Go etc etc. My mind was barking out orders to the appendages, but I literally couldn't. Alot of times I ended up just giving it more gas, instead of clutch and praying for the best. While this wasn't 100% effective it worked ALOT more that I ever would've thought. What was also funny was some of the times I wanted to give it more gas, and could not. Arms and wrists were locked from what I'm sure was poor technique, and excessive nerves. I'm not terribly good at riding ruts, but today forced the issue. I'm a little better at ruts now. What I discovered especially at certain places where there was a turn that took you uphill, use the deep rut *at times* if there was no easier way out. They looked scary with the rocks and roots at the bottom, however the bike literally couldn't skip out, so instead of steering, I'd use my legs and pogo along as needed, which allowed a little more progress between rests. I only managed a grand total 3 laps stopping each time to exchange my googles held by my lovely crew. I found that I literally had to ride as slow as I could to keep going. Lap three though I found a groove and managed to ride maybe 1/4 of the track without stopping. WIN! If it was down hill I let the bike idle, and rested for the upcoming madness. So anyhow I finished tho! :rockon: Thank GOD I had an electric start bike. I think the starter turned more revolutions than the front tire.

I did not witness any crazy or stupid passing. If I got stuck or others got stuck, people went around or waited. I did have someone behind me rev up 3 times, which I pulled right over and let him by, no issue. I didn't finish dead last either. Win. When I pulled into the pits, it was actually painful to try to straighten out my hand.

So at the end of the day I have zero grip strength, on and off arm cramps, and am generally whooped. Motorcycles are very good. Can't wait for another try!

P.S. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want a Revloc clutch now.

Sun May 14, 2017 8:36 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Wow man.. excellent job!! Did you take video?

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

No video, the battery on my go pro is shot. I had several comical line changes where I actually made it, but barely. The best by far was the one i didnt make (there were many) where i got off line (up hill) and headed straight between two trees. My thoughts went as follows: "well there goes that line. Two smaller - ish sapling/trees in a very narrow vee, 12 o'clock. Hmmm. Maybe more speed will get me through since I physically can't steer?? *stall* hung the bike up good. Had to go down before up.

So I looked at the lap times, and my suspicions were correct. Lap one and two were nearly identical, however lap 3 only took me 3/4 of that time.

Mon May 15, 2017 7:58 pm
AMA superstar

Couple of pics tho:
Prerace where's waldo after all the first rows were on their way... And post race aftermath.

Attachments:
IMG950932.jpg
IMG950932.jpg [ 207.79 KiB | Viewed 1149 times ]
IMG950927.jpg
IMG950927.jpg [ 137.49 KiB | Viewed 1149 times ]
Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
That almost sounds like fun, almost :nuts:

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]