View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Rich likes shiny things.. 
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Post Rich likes shiny things..
Sooo, like I mentioned in my for sale post, with Marco in tow to the track, I realized my truck wasn't the best for the job - I needed out of the weather, heated or A/C space for stuff as well as the dog. The good Q agreed.

So, an SUV that can tow 6-7k is what I started window shopping for months ago. I also decided that I'd like something I didn't HATE being in for 6+ hours at a time. The fact that I was willing to drive the Avalanche @ 14mpg to NC and back shows how I don't like the Subaru. But I can't do that regularly. So... now it's an SUV that can tow AND gets good MPG. Enter the midsize class of 2013-2016. They all have similar tow ratings, HP/torque, size, and MPG, (not surprising since they all have 3L turbodiesel V6's), and are rated for 7200-7700 lbs. towing.
1: Volkswagen Touareg (executive trim)
2: Audi Q7 (a dressed-up Toureg)
3: BMW X5 35d
4: Porsche Cayenne diesel (a REALLY dressed-up Touareg that handles corners)
5: Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec
6: Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel (Summit trim)

The Jeep is a Mercedes ML underneath, but uses Fiat's engine with the excellent ZF 8-speed transmission. VW/Audi/Porsche share chassis and drivetrains, with each brand doing their own take on the interior/exterior, options, and tuning. Nicole (with no experience driving, riding, or even touching one) really has a thing for all things Mercedes, and AGAINST all things BMW (Sorry pucker). Me? Well, it would be Porsche, BMW, and then a tie between Mercedes and Jeep if I just give up on having any fun when the road turns. The VW was just bland looking, and the Audi REALLY needed an interior refresh. A 2016 Q7 has an identical interior to a 2010 A4. :jerkoff:

The Jeep drove very (VERY) nice and quiet, has a local dealer, was the cheapest,and made the most rational sense. But I ride a fucking Aprilia. Rational isn't my thing, even if the engine is Italian. After the dust settled from the 3L V6 "dieselgate" stuff, VW, Audi, and Porsche were cutting big checks to owners, and resale values are (temporarily) down. Porsche went so far as to also throw in an extra bumper-to-bumper 2 year / 100k total mile warranty.

Suddenly, all 6 of these, similarly equipped, were within $10k of each other. VW was now the cheapest. Fairfield Jeep gets in THE one I wanted.. a low mile, 2016 (They got rid of that stupid t-handle shifter for '16) Grand Cherokee "Summit" in velvet red with a very upscale-looking saddle brown interior. All the goodies. ALL of them. But their price is about $5k too high ($49k), and I still need to add in an extended warranty for all those f'n goodies.

Well, long story short(er), I'm heading to Nashville in the morning to pick this up for the same price as the Jeep - a really well optioned out "moonlight blue" 2016 Cayenne diesel with 43k on the clock. (I'm not paying as much as what's on the mirror tag) 14-way heated & cooled seats, full LED lights, panoramic roof, good stereo, blah blah blah. I'll miss the remote start and the air suspension of the Jeep, but.. I'm sure that's about it. :D I fucking stole this thing. It books for close to $60k. getting it for just about 10k less. This dealer (Infiniti) didn't advertise it right,and it didn't get much attention. Their loss, my gain.

240hp/406lb-ft stock, and a dealer-OK (and quickly removed) fueling/boost box is on the way, which gives 295hp / 470lb-ft of torque (at something stupid like only 2,000rpm). 0-60 in just over 6 seconds, zero smoke. It won't have that glorious big block burble going down the road, but reports are 15-16MPG towing an enclosed trailer and 30 empty.. I'll live. Without further adoo... The reason I'm not getting a new R1 anytime soon :gayfight: / thanks for the tax break, Mr. Trump!

Attachments:
IMG_6183.jpg
IMG_6183.jpg [ 2.96 MiB | Viewed 947 times ]
IMG_6184.jpg
IMG_6184.jpg [ 2.71 MiB | Viewed 947 times ]
IMG_6186.jpg
IMG_6186.jpg [ 2.65 MiB | Viewed 947 times ]
IMG_6191.jpg
IMG_6191.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 947 times ]
IMG_6190.jpg
IMG_6190.jpg [ 836.38 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Post Re: Rich likes shiny things..
Nice dude! I had no idea what you’d be thinking about getting to replace the Avalanche. I can’t wait to hear how it tows.

See liberals, Trickle Down Economics does work. :balls:

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

My luck shouldn't be this good.

1: Porsche (and VW too) changed the pre-owned warranty length from 2 additional years / 100k total miles to 2 additional years / unlimited miles. Winning.
2a: The previous owner ignored all the paperwork about the emissions settlement.
2b: The Infiniti dealer that took this on a trade was too cheap to get a second key made. Had they spent the $450 on a second fob, the Porsche dealer would have told them THEY could file for the settlement money.

Well, neither of them did... So *I* did. I'm in this thing for under $40k.

Oh, and I'm going a different route with the tuning.. 339hp/528lb-ft thanks to a Malone tune. Should be done in about a week or so, depending on how long it takes to get the flash tuner delivered from Canada. 30+MPG & 500+ lb-ft? Yeah, I'll take that!!

The brake controller is en route, window tint appointment is on the 17th.. It's almost ready to haul!

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Congrats on the good fortune :beer:

528 lb-ft??? Holy shit! What was your big block putting out?

Did you sell the Avalanche yet?

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

Mentch171 wrote:
Congrats on the good fortune :beer:

528 lb-ft??? Holy shit! What was your big block putting out?

Did you sell the Avalanche yet?

The 8.1 was 450 lb-ft stock, ~490 with the tune, and almost 2,000lbs heavier. :-)

I have a bite or 2 on the Avalanche.. I'd bet it's gone this week.

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]