View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 AOAA park news 
AMA superstar

What I ride: sv650s
Post Re: AOAA park news
btw, I fearfully offer the use of my teryx to you forum members for taking your signif others out there. ginny has gone with me and loved it.

Fri May 23, 2014 9:40 am
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
pmcneil wrote:
btw, I fearfully offer the use of my teryx to you forum members for taking your signif others out there. ginny has gone with me and loved it.

I don't care WHAT Mentch says about you... You're a good dude, Pete. :beer:

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
Hmmm. Exactly who did you have in mind when the fear set in? :D

Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm
AMA superstar

What I ride: sv650s
certainly not you O killer of jeeps

Sun May 25, 2014 8:22 am

Paraphrasing the old adage, Jeeps don't die - they only get stronger.

Sun May 25, 2014 12:41 pm
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
The park's new web site is up and running.

http://www.anthraciteadventure.com/aoaa/

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 am
Profile WWW

Expansion.

BY Sarah DeSantis

The News-Item

BURNSIDE — The Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) will be expanding by approximately 200 acres after receiving a state grant for $117,000, state Sen. John R. Gordner and Rep. Kurt Masser jointly announced Wednesday.

The funds, approved by the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources through the Community Conservation Partnership Program, will add 164 acres along the western portion of the

AOAA and 36 acres along the Eastern Reserve.

The land is in Coal, East Cameron and West Cameron townships and both tracts have numerous trails for development. The addition along the western portion of the AOAA will provide continuous connectivity to the Eastern Reserve.

“We’re all excited about it,” said AOAA Operations Director David Porzi.

Gordner and Masser voiced ongoing support for the park, which sold more than 9,100 passes last year to off-road riders.

“The AOAA has not only provided additional recreational activity in eastern Northumberland County, it has spurred economic development and activity in an area where it is sorely needed,” said Gordner.

“I have been pleased to support the AOAA since its inception,” said Masser. “The state has also recognized its importance with continued funding.”

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

If this is county land, how can they say no firearms?

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

I wouldn't be surprised if a range was in the works.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Eskimo wrote:

Where did you see this?

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Profile WWW

funfred wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if a range was in the works.

I can certainly find out.

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

Mentch171 wrote:
Eskimo wrote:

Where did you see this?

https://www.smartwaiver.com/w/542092d4d5dfd/web/

Under "obey all user rules"

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

Eskimo wrote:
Mentch171 wrote:
Eskimo wrote:

Where did you see this?

https://www.smartwaiver.com/w/542092d4d5dfd/web/

Under "obey all user rules"

Ah, I didn't get that far. Good question and I don't know how that's enforceable.

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:35 pm
Profile WWW

New news:

AOAA overlook
An overlook in the Eastern Reserve of the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) showing six mountain ranges was the unintentional result of construction of the Atlantic Sunrise pipeline project. AOAA Operations Director Dave Porzi said the view has the potential to be a destination point.

COAL TOWNSHIP — Increasing attendance, expanding non-motorized opportunities and creating trails while eliminating environmental hazards are a few priorities next year at the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA).

Authority member Pat Mack described 2018 as a good year, despite one of the wettest periods on record. Pass sales dipped slightly from 2017, but the amount of annual pass holders spending multiple days at the park was noticeably higher, he said.

As of Dec. 14, riders purchased 17,484 yearly, one-day, two-day and three-day passes for $423,400 in combined sales. One-day passes (14,241) made up 81 percent of all passes sold.

Previous sales were $428,295 (18,445 passes) in 2017; $340,950 in 2016; $249,385 in 2015; and $136,741 in 2014. The park opened May 16, 2014.

“Many people don’t realize this, but we are still a young business. It was a positive sign to see no major drop off with all the rain,” Mack said.

Attracting more locals
Operations Director Dave Porzi said county residents this year purchased 792 passes, just 5 percent of all passes. While acknowledging the desire to have more locals attend the park, he said the park’s insurance requires riders to enter and exit the AOAA from the trailhead, instead of other trails that could serve as access points from residential areas.

He said a possible solution to having more locals come to the AOAA is designating roads, such as state Route 125, as joint-use. The Department of Conservation of Natural Resources (DCNR) permits roads to be designated and posted for ATVs by the government authority with jurisdiction over the road, in the case of Route 125, PennDOT.

Porzi commented, “I spent 30 years of my life out here as a trespasser. I used to drive my ATV from Natalie to Coal Township and back. (The area) is now a managed facility. We enforce rules and have a great safety record because of that. But, I think, in the end, if we can get in-town access to this facility, it would then be more attractive to the local residents to buy a yearly pass, because they can then come and go.”

The City of Shamokin designated various streets as joint-use for one day in November during “Taking it to the Streets,” a new event held to expose AOAA riders to local restaurants and other businesses.

Porzi said out of 860 people who bought an AOAA pass on the event day, 444 went into town. He said a drawback was that AOAA staff was stretched thin by the unexpected large amount of patrons.

“If we get access to town (on a normal basis), it’s not going to be 800 people standing in town. That’s not going to be normal, everyday life,” Porzi stressed, “you’re going to see 15 or 20 vehicles trickle in.”

City Councilman Dan McGaw described the event as a “success,” while adding riders faced a problem of having nowhere to go other than to restaurants because of the lack of downtown businesses.

Another ATV downtown event, called the Ice Break Run, is being planned for the weekend after St. Patrick’s Day. Mayor John Brown said in the case of that event coming together, Shamokin officials have met with Coal Township supervisors to discuss extending the routes.

Both the city and township have also discussed the possibility of drafting ordinances allowing them to request that PennDOT open Route 125 as an ATV-designated roadway.

As a way to lure locals, the AOAA continues to offer Northumberland County residents discounts, ranging from $75 off for a yearly pass to $5 off for a one-day pass.

A place to recreate
Many AOAA patrons live in Pennsylvania with a large amount also traveling from the Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York regions, which Porzi said have little to no areas for off-road recreation.

“They are looking for a place to come and recreate. Some of the benefits to riding at our facility is the fact that we have a secure parking lot and are now up to 7,500 acres with leases and other purchases,” Porzi said. “You can come here, whatever skill level, and there’s something for everybody. You get the sensation of exploring when you come here.”

The director said word of mouth and social media is exposing the park to the industry, as are nationally recognized events that have drawn hundreds of visitors to the park.

The AOAA was visited in early summer by a group of four-wheel enthusiasts taking part in Ultimate Adventure, an event held by Motor Trend magazine during which participants traveled from Maine to Pennsylvania visiting various off-road parks. Representatives from UTV Driver magazine also came to the park to compare off-road vehicles.

Ultra4s, a national race series focusing on four-wheel vehicles, was attended by 1,800 people. It was a joint-race weekend with Ultra4 Racing on Saturday, April 14, and Line Mountain 4-Wheelers on Sunday.

“Ultra4 will be televised in the next couple of weeks on NBC Sports. Now that’s global exposure; that’s something nobody can pay for,” Porzi said. “It was a great event. Yes, the local economy saw some action from that and it would something that we would entertain having again in the future.”

Jeep Jamboree held two events this year, one in the spring and the summer, that involved 225 participating vehicles and hundreds of drivers and spectators from throughout the country and Canada. Having two Jamboree events at one location in the same year is rare, Porzi commented.

“They absolutely love coming here and we are truly blessed we get two a year,” Porzi said. “It has to do with the popularity of the facility, logistics and event coordinator Steve Risk and his guides. They put on one heck of an event.”

COAL TOWNSHIP — Increasing attendance, expanding non-motorized opportunities and creating trails while eliminating environmental hazards are a few priorities next year at the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA).

Non-motorized opportunities
While the majority of the park’s 200 miles of trails are dedicated for off-road enthusiasts, the AOAA Authority is aiming to further develop non-motorized opportunities.

The entire 7,500-acre property is available to hunters prior to 9 a.m. and after the park closes. The park was closed to allow for hunting from Monday, Nov. 26 to Saturday, Dec. 1, and Monday, Dec. 3 through Saturday, Dec. 8.

The AOAA offers a 3.1-mile dedicated walking trail with four exercise areas that hold 18 exercise fitness stations that recently were installed. People can walk on all the trails, free of charge, when the park is closed.

The authority is mulling increasing hours of operation and expanding from a Thursday through Monday schedule to seven days a week from about April to October to allow more time for patrons to enjoy the park. The downside of expanding hours and days is the elimination of permitting people to walk on motorized trails, said AOAA Operations Director Dave Porzi.

“Yes, (the AOAA) has priorities and some of those are to make sure we are selling passes and paying the bills, but now it’s time to break off into the non-motorized segments,” he added. “It’s something we need to focus on because that was written into the master site development plan.”

Porzi already has been in communication with groups and individuals who specialize in mountain biking, noting that some larger events attract hundreds of people.

Off-season work
Porzi said it was the copious amounts of rain, not the pounding of wheels, that took its toll this year on some sections of trails. A new excavator, trailer and work utility recently purchased through a $147,720 grant awarded in 2016 by the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources likely will be put to work quickly.

“We are very blessed that the land we are on is very durable. A lot of the trails don’t show a lot of wear and tear,” Porzi said. “Water is always an issue. Certain sections we are not going to touch, because the (heavy rain) made the trail a little more difficult and interesting for the user. But, not everybody wants that.”

Additional off-season work will include $25,000 worth of repairs on 15 miles of pre-existing trails in the southcentral section of the Western Reserve. That work, Porzi said, will be done to satisfy an in-kind match for a $471,843 Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) grant awarded to SEDA-Council of Governments. A portion of the funding will be used to construct a cell tower that will provide 911 and cellular communications and broadband services to the area.

Planning will continue for construction of a quarter-mile trail and rehabilitation of a half-mile trail near Boyer’s Knob in the Eastern Reserve. The new trail, which will connect two dead-end trails, will be funded with a $25,000 grant recently awarded by DCNR.

“We are going to be add this connector in so we have another way of getting vehicles in and out of the Helfenstein area,” Porzi said.

Nearby, construction for the Atlantic Sunrise pipeline had some unexpected consequences. Workers who had cleared trees as part of the right-of-way also created a vista where six mountain ranges south of the AOAA are visible. The view is “breathtaking” and has the potential to be a destination point, Porzi said.

Major reclamation project
The Bureau of Abandoned Mine Reclamation is planning a major project at “The Caves” in the Western Reserve that will rival the creation of the trailhead.

The state is planning to reclaim 88 acres in Coal and Zerbe townships that was deep-mined by Bear Valley Colliery and surfaced-mined by various operators until around 1955. The site is just pass the terminus of Bear Valley Road, about 1.4 miles from the intersection with Route 125.

The project was one of 150 projects approved for $55.6 million of reclamation work, the state Department of Environmental Protection recently announced. The project will be funded through the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement’s Abandoned Mine Land Grant Fund.

The project will involve backfilling about 5,600 linear feet of highwalls, ranging in height from 30 to 170 feet, and an associated water-filled stripping pit, once a popular spot for swimming and diving. About 2.6 million cubic yards of existing spoil material, located north of the Whaleback, will be used to grade the area. The geologic wonder, which is owned by Reading Anthracite, will not be affected.

The pit is fed by runoff and was determined to be an average of 10 to 12 feet deep, maxing out at 17 feet in one spot. The depth was just 7 feet, Porzi cautioned, near a rock ledge from which people often dove.

“It’s a local attraction, but in reality it’s a nuisance and an issue,” he said of the water-filled pit. “The water itself has the consistency of vinegar — not something you really want to be swimming in.”

The proposed project area stretches northeast of the Whaleback to west of the scenic overlook that opened earlier this year to riders at the AOAA. In addition to Reading and the AOAA, other landowners affected are the City of Philadelphia (Girard Estates), Blaschak Coal Corp. and Rosini Enterprises.

Tentative plans also call for the construction of a parking lot consisting of 2A stone (150 by 300 foot) and a grass helicopter pad (100 by 100 foot), demolishing an abandoned mine building, removal of garbage, seeding of grass and trees, and the placement of brush piles to promote wildlife.

Trails to be created include a 6,600-foot extreme Jeep crawling trail, 4,370 feet of ATV trails and 4,900 feet of improved roads passable by two-wheel-drive vehicles. A mud pit (100 by 200 foot) will also be created.

Work is anticipated to begin in late fall of 2019.

The end result, Porzi said, is creating an attraction that will bring in riders from across the country as well as increase pass sales.

“We don’t want to flatten out,” he said of the amount of people who visit the park. “A goal of the AOAA is to keep increasing revenue and to hire more staff as ridership demands it.”

He said of the region and AOAA, “We don’t have a beach. We don’t have a boardwalk. We have regional tourism.”

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for posting. It all sounds very encouraging.

I did the event that allowed us to go into town. It was kinda cool taking a parking space in front of the restaurant of our choice, having lunch and the prerequisite Bloody Mary(s). :D

Merry Christmas!

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:05 pm

AOAA is now open seven days a week.

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

Fuck that.. Let's do one of those 1000cc turbo SxS's.. and put a BIG deposit on the CC. When they die, we collect.

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

Mentch171 wrote:
AOAA is now open seven days a week.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...!
:apex:

Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2