View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Riding gear in the washing machine 
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Post Riding gear in the washing machine
*Disclamer*
Don’t hold me responsible if this doesn’t work out well if you attempt it but it did for me. Just saying...

I recently dug into my closet in the garage where I keep most all of my riding gear to pull out my Cortech soft tail bags. I saw how crusty they were between the old road grime and sitting in the garage closet nastiness so I threw them in the washing machine. I thought much easier than hosing and scrubbing. They came out pretty damn good. That led me to going through all my riding gear. My sport tour gear, which wasn’t too dirty overall, got disassembled and washed. It all came out nice. That stuff is meant to be in the wet, bad weather so I expected that to work well. Next was an old Astars textile jacket. I always liked the jacket but it’s stiff. Never really ever broke in nice. Not anymore. It’s soft and feels great. Same thing with a REAL old AXO enduro jacket. It’s always been stiff and borderline uncomfortable. I’ve often thought of throwing the damn thing away. Not anymore. It’s freaking awesome! I mean I expected stuff to get clean but not especially soft and comfortable too. Last but not least were my old AStar leathers. They were dirty and beat up! The odds of me actually wearing them again looking at their current condition was slim to none. I’ve always heard about just throwing leathers in the washer but I’ve never tried it so I thought I didn’t have much to loose. Right into the washer they went. Liner in them, knee pucks still attached, all of it. They came out looking pretty good, except for the track rash of course, so I hung them up to dry overnight. This morning I decided to put them on while still slightly damp to see how they fared out. I don’t know what happened but I’ve never put on a pair of leathers this easily! They practically jumped onto my body compared to the usual wrestling match I always go through. They were super soft, comfortable and fit me better than ever. I now removed the liner to help them dry thoroughly and I’ll hit them with some leather conditioner. I can’t get over how comfortable they are now.

I’m now thinking about throwing my new leathers, even though I’ve worn them just one track day, and an Astars leather jacket in the washer just to see if it does the same thing. What a difference!

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
Post Re: Riding gear in the washing machine
Washing leathers? There's one more step. Put 'em on and go riding 'til they're dry...form-fit perfection.

So, cleaning up the adventure gear, eh? Does this mean you're the giddy, proud and excited owner of a Beta? :beer:

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:56 am

funfred wrote:
Washing leathers? There's one more step. Put 'em on and go riding 'til they're dry...form-fit perfection.

So, cleaning up the adventure gear, eh? Does this mean you're the giddy, proud and excited owner of a Beta? :beer:

I was out yesterday for a bit before the rain. No time today to get out though but yeah I bet they’d dry out and be perfect if I would do that.

No Beta yet. All my stashed Beta cash went to the down payment on the new truck. Kinda needed the truck more right now :banghead:

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Profile WWW

Well, you do have a much needed new truck now. I hope that's the end of your vehicle issues...

I've been getting hammered all year. From trailer tires and wheels, truck starter/heater core/airbag fault, leaking 'Vette oil pan/AC//half shaft seal, JGC brake rotors/AC/burst brake line/ backing into trees - twice, and a bout of pneumonia to boot. :roll:
if one more thing fucks up... :cry:
:pistols: :fred:
:lol:

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:45 pm

funfred wrote:
Well, you do have a much needed new truck now. I hope that's the end of your vehicle issues...

I've been getting hammered all year. From trailer tires and wheels, truck starter/heater core/airbag fault, leaking 'Vette oil pan/AC//half shaft seal, JGC brake rotors/AC/burst brake line/ backing into trees - twice, and a bout of pneumonia to boot. :roll:
if one more thing fucks up... :cry:
:pistols: :fred:
:lol:

Yes I hope so too. Like I was telling you in NJ it wasn’t the truck I was originally thinking of, not a new Super Duty 7.3, but it is loaded up and pretty darn capable enough. I have my Bilstein’s installed all around and just saving for some nice tires next.

I also finally got tired of working on vehicles on the floor so I installed a two post lift in the garage. Still sucks working on vehicles but now it sucks a lot less.

I know what you mean about stuff fucking up. It seems to run in packs, never alone.

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:10 pm
Profile WWW

I imagine the suckitude to be greatly reduced with a post lift.
Wish I had a garage... :D

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]