View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Bike restraints for your trailer/truck 
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Post Bike restraints for your trailer/truck
Was talking to Micah yesterday and he asked about the PitBull TRS vs. a chock, and we got sidetracked by something shiny before I could answer. I figured starting a thread here might be helpful for someone, eventually. I ended up going with 2 Baxley wheel chocks (and the Condor I already own) for the hauler, and here's why..

The PitBull TRS was my original #1 choice. Strong, simple, quick (if you line up the bike right the first or second try) and very secure. But..
Downsides-
--You have to buy pins for every bike you might haul for it to work properly
--If you run axle sliders like I do, they have to come off before you use it.
--Fred had a concern about the bearings getting banged around.. I don't feel it's a big deal, but there are forces at play there.

I already own a Condor chock and like it a lot, but then I saw the Baxley. Similar to the Condor, but the jaw that holds the front tire actually opens and closes as you roll the bike in and out which should help with my biggest annoyance, the damn slicks stick to the chock! You still use 2 straps down and forward to the subframe or pegs maybe, but they don't have to be crazy-tight. Once you roll the bike into the chock, it does stay upright plenty well to attach the straps. just a few clicks on the ratchet strap after the slack is out is all I've ever used, and it's worked great.
Downsides-
--It does take a little longer to get the bike in and secure than the PitBull.

However, the Baxley/Condor is not bike-specific, and that's what ultimately swayed my decision. It doesn't matter what bike I'm rolling in there - it'll work, and it holds the bike far more securely than the U-shaped universal chocks.

Also.. All 3 of these systems are quickly removable, leaving just some mounting hardware in place.
--The Baxley chock leaves only 2 VERY small, 1/4" high plates that can't be more than 1" x 3".
--The Pitbull plate is also quite flat, but does have the 4 bolt heads sticking up maybe 1/2" or so.
--The Condor mount plate is approx. 2" x 6", but does have a rise in the middle, putting it ~1/2" above the floor, but there is no hardware protruding from it.

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

What I ride: ferris zero turn
Post Re: Bike restraints for your trailer/truck
Thank you for that rich. How could we have been side tracked?... There's only chrome, italian masterpieces, beer, crawlers, american muscle, beer, scrubbed tires, rare italian parts, more beer, and a 25,000 gallon compressor in there... :beer:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 am
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
I'm always wondering what it looks like inside the trailer when it's bouncing down the highway, and was also wondering if my system for securing everything is adequate... So me being me, I put a mount for the camera in the trailer, and shot a video going down I-80 through the construction zone near Berwick at umm.. not construction zone speeds. ;)

Before heading out, I left my bike just barely tight enough to take the slack out of the straps and then a few clicks/tug on the straps.. Shawn's R6 is a bit tighter and also has one side looped around the swingarm, which really seems to stabilize it.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the Baxley system. I despise handlebar tie-downs and really don't want to ever use them, but wanted the flexibility of a more universal wheel chock.

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
It took you 2.5 minutes to get through the Berwick construction?
How did you ever get to the track on time?
:lol:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]