View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 AR 300BLK Build 
AMA superstar

What I ride: ferris zero turn
Post AR 300BLK Build
Long time... Do I need to go back to the introduction page? :shrug:
I have been pilling up parts for the last few weeks to assemble a basic 300 Blackout to help handle the increased coyote issues we are experiencing. I feel my mechanical ability and skills are high, but if I were to run into issues with assembly (never assembled a weapon before) or just get too rammy and want the thing done already, who would you recommend locally? After hearing goos things from another enthusiast, I recently stopped by Susquehanna Valley Firearms in Bloomsburg and spoke to the owner. Seemed very willing to help and well educated, but I'd prefer to hear from some of you guru's firsthand... Your thoughts?? TIA
Some of the hardware:

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:29 pm
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Post Re: AR 300BLK Build
dapucker, I vaguely remember you :balls:

I haven't been to Susquehanna yet but I've heard a few favorable things about them. Sounds like they could certainly help you out. My dad was also there and bought a Volquartsen barrel for his S&W Victory. They offered to install it but it's literally a five minute job. I did it for him.

What exactly do you need assembled? Is it an AR 300 BLK build?

What you should be doing is rounding up said local gurus and having a coyote kill fest :fred:

I've been hearing people in my area talk about lots of coyotes but I have yet to see any here. The deer in my neighborhood are like rats though. There's way more deer than squirrels anymore.

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
Mentch171 wrote:
dapucker, I vaguely remember you :balls:
:lol:

There is really nothing to assembling an AR, tho' there are a couple points to be sure of while doing so...barrel nut torque and gas tube alignment.
Online instructional vids or write-ups are all that are necessary and it's so simple, you'll really only need to see or read it once.

Of course, if you have any questions or issues, I read a magazine that had a pertinent article in it. That makes me an expert on the subject. :D I gave the magazine to Rich. So, he's an expert too, if he read it.
Seriously, just understanding what a vid or write-up says is all the help you'll need. You may want to clarify the author's methods, however. That's what us wrench twisters are good for...

First free advice...
Do NOT use the torque values listed for tightening the barrel nut. The barrel nut is steel, the upper is aluminum. The threads are very fine. The listed torque value is 30-80ft/lbs.
Wait, what? 30-80? How could they possibly be any less specific?
It's done by sight and feel. Pay no attention to torque values there.

Second free advice...
Dry fit everything handtight before setting them with or without a locking solution. You're checking for smooth operation and a precise fit. This goes a long way towards final accuracy.
Machinist's dye is your friend for checking fitment.
Red loctite (it fills any gaps) is your friend for long term maintenance of the barrel adapter's precision fit. (You'll never have a need to disassemble this as long as you are not modifying the barrel/upper interface. Make sure you're happy with the fit before you lock it.)

Third free advice...
Don't hesitate to whip out a file, sandpaper or other metal remover to smooth things out or otherwise massage them as deemed necessary.

Fourth free advice...
Do NOT push your bolt into the bolt carrier farther than it would normally go if the cam pin were in place. You'll regret it as the gas rings will hang up on a cut-out deep within the bore of the bolt carrier. It ain't comin' back out without a LOT of tears and misery.

Fifth free advice...
Beware of free advice. :D

It's gonna be very satisfying taking it apart after so many rounds and observing the wear patterns. You "built" it. It's yours. Now you see how well it runs.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:54 am
AMA superstar

Jarrod, I have a box of parts to build an AR 300 BLK. The pic I posted above was simply a few parts hand tightened together just to get a look at what I had.
The coyotes are incredible right now. My mother in law had one charge her around 730am with my boxer (who is 80lb). She said it stood taller then the boxer and more resembled a wolf/shepherd. Boxer went after it, fortunately came back after a 5 minute chase. My wife and jack russell had a run in as well... At night it sounds like a wild west movie at random times from sunset to sunrise. We have seen both small typical looking coyotes to what seems to be something interbred with wolf. Needless to say, it's time to eradicate them.
This build has gotten quite expensive, not allowing much leftover for an electric call. My mouth calls are only as good as the untrained city boy user.

Fred, thanks for all of the input. Funny you should mention torque numbers, I'm a firm believer of using your internal torque wrench for situations liker this, especially when joining two types of materials.

Once this is built, we outta skip out on a saturday and rip through a few rounds, and beers.

***EDIT- After using photobucket for 18 years, they now want money for 3rd party hosting?... That is BS.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Wow! That's something else about your coyotes.

I'm beginning to believe all builds from scratch have the potential, even high probability of getting out of hand expensive. I've only built one rifle from a pile of parts so far, my Volquartsen 10/22, nuff said. That was only a .22LR

I have a nice AR armorer wrench, good roll pin punches, FAT wrench torque wrench, a collection gun specific bits, a Tipton Best Gun Vice, etc if you need to use anything.

Yeah what the hell Photobucket? Between their app on my phone constantly crashing and now you say they want money too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

Since having a coyote family stroll through my front yard some years ago (buncha pups and some mamas stopped to play and roll around) I did some interwebs research...
The northeastern's coyote/wolf hybrid is now recognized as a species. It's called an Eastern Coyote. I don't think these are the Coywolf of the Michigan peninsula. Coyotes are Border Collie size, the Coywolf doesn't appear to be much bigger. The pups I saw were Border Collie size.

Six months later, a monster calmly walked through. It stopped, head held high as if posing while saying, "Yeah, I'm the baddest motherfucker around." Big, lean, muscular...it wasn't old enough to have a paunch but woulda made a stout German Shepherd look like a Border Collie. It was the most beautiful "dog" I've ever seen, very regal in stature. Absolutely stunning confirmation by canine standards.
Wished I had a steak in the frig...I wanted that dog. :D

I have no interest in shooting them...I'm sure they do their part in keeping the hoofed rat population under control, unlike the Coywolf that eats rodentia and other small animals. Which reminds me, I should start a produce garden. Then I can shoot those hoofed rats at will. ;)
(Yeah, might be bending the law a bit there but, hey, I'd be growing it for MY living. :D)

I'm still waitin' on a Friday to come around where we can get some range time.
Beers sound like a good time. I know Rich is thirsty.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm

I would have like to have seen that "dog" in your yard Fred. Yeah when you're talking about a critter that borders on a wolf I wouldn't have interest in shooting at it either short of defensive reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 am
Profile WWW

The wily wolf hunter spies his prey 70yds away. A snap of a twig and this monster casually looks but, otherwise, has no interest whatsoever.
"IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR ME!"
BLAM-BLAM-BLAM, BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM. BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM.

I guess that's why it's illegal to use semi-automatics in PA, even on predators.
Not sure what the law says about defensive use but I think I could overlook Micah's use. They are kickin' the front door in, right? :D

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:26 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
We're pretty generous on the file attachment size - just upload the photos right into the post?

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 am
Profile WWW

Micah, I've recently become aware of a new law in PA for 2017. You may use a semi-automatic for furbearing animals, provided you have a furtakers license and are, also, not engaging in furtaking during big game seasons. No caliber or magazine capacity restrictions.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:31 am
AMA superstar

Thanks for the word on photos, Rich.

Fred, fortunately I have a few friends who withhold the law and have hopefully steered me in the correct direction.

Gun is finished. Parts Cerakoted and assembled. Waiting on 30 round black hex mag to complete it, but you'll get the idea... pics to follow...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Just saying you're legally good with the gun now if you wanted to go the extra step and get a furtaker's license. Rin-tin-tin's cousins (forefathers?) would be fair game, without question.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
300BLK works fanfuckingtastic with a suppressor.. just sayin' as a future upgrade. REALLY ups the WAF. (Wife approval factor)

Also, I do have Fred's magazines still.

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 am
Profile WWW

So about Susquehanna Firearms, Steve and I stopped there on our way home today. Neither of us have been there before. Josh, one of the owners, talked with us for close to an hour and they had other customers. Super personable and knowledgeable. I’ll be going back for sure when it comes time for the suppressors ;) They defiantly seem focused on the kind of go bang stuff I like.

I also spotted dapucker’s truck in the wild on our way there. I texted him after we got home and mentioned our stop there. He seems to like them too. I’d highly recommend them if you haven’t been there yet.

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'08 Rincon

"...and it all adds up"

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]