View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Laptimers 
AMA superstar

What I ride: .
Post Laptimers
What laptimers do you guys use? Ive borrowed a gps camera before and was disappointed with its accuracy. It jumps all over, never quite knowing where it is. I think id be happy with a beacon type? Im assuming if you pass or get passed tho, you might loose your time for 2 laps?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 am
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Post Re: Laptimers
I had a beacon type years ago. It was a pain in the ass. I went to a Starlane Stealth GPS-2. It’s ancient by today’s standard but it works.

I quit caring much about my lap times once I wasn’t riding on track enough to be anywhere near fast. I could probably use a sundial for a lap timer now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
I have a beacon type...XT Racing.
First, I found a secure place to mount the receiver/timer on the bike. Then I hung a bike battery from a camera tripod (ballast against wind) with the beacon mounted on top.

If a lap gets skipped, just divide the next time signature by two for the average. The loss of the actual time for those two laps has never been an issue for me.

Between a sub-asphalt transmitter/transponder (race scenario), my XTRacing beacon or a stopwatch used by a seasoned pit bitch, there's never more than .1 second discrepancy between the varying units and, as you may have surmised, the stop watch has the least precise trigger.

Once you've securely mounted your timer and figured out a platform for your beacon, the hardest part of the evolution, or using the unit, is walking to pit wall, or wherever, to place the beacon. Second hardest thing is turning on the timer.
(This assumes you already took a couple minutes to enter the track name, date and session splits.)

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Early on, I picked up a 10hz GPS puck, and that works REALLY well when teamed up with an app like RaceChrono. But external GPS's are Android only. In fact, I'm pretty sure I still have the damn thing if you want to borrow it.

These days, I have a XTRacing GPX Pro that does data acquisition and has a 5 or 10hz GPS, and it's nuts-accurate as well.

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

What I ride: .
Im not opposed to gps. 0.1 accuracy is perfectly fine, the only point of reference i have was a gps camera that would occasionally skip several seconds, which why bother at that point. Maybe ill look more into gps... i got a go pro 7 since my 3 died. Would that keep reasonable laptimes by chance?

Thanks

Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]