View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 heat cycles 
AMA superstar

What I ride: .
Post heat cycles
Tire question: how much does heat cycling affect q3s? They only have 3 track days of quick for the slow group pace. I think there is enough tread for 1-2 more track days. Can the tires handle the limited 'abuse' I've caused them, or as long as there is good tread, I'm not fast enough to make the tires greasy?

The reason I ask, is I've had truck tires heat cycle and lose a good amount of grip, even with reasonable tread left.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:24 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Post Re: heat cycles
If you're using the bike primarily at the track, a street tire like a q3 will wear until you can see the air inside it before it hardens at all. If you rode a lot on the street with only 1 track day a year on it, I could see it getting hard before it wears out, but that would take a while (like..a few years)

I'd say that a very broad rule of thumb - if you don't need warmers, heat cycles aren't a concern.

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

Sweet. That might make the monetary difference for an extra track day this season.

That is assuming I stop this unlucky bout with the number 3. First time, session 3- flat tire. 2nd time, session 3, half lap in, red flag for someone else. 3rd track day, session 3- laid it down.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:24 pm
AMA superstar

New Q3 question... how many low side slides can a tire take?

My tires from last season still have tread, the front has 3 left side slides, the rear has two. Should I concern myself with this? Half of me wants to replace the tires so I can 'trust' them more to start off the season... but is this a waste of money? (Probably won't matter, I'll crash either way, but still... :laughing: )

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 am
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
61Cubes wrote:
New Q3 question... how many low side slides can a tire take?

My tires from last season still have tread, the front has 3 left side slides, the rear has two. Should I concern myself with this? Half of me wants to replace the tires so I can 'trust' them more to start off the season... but is this a waste of money? (Probably won't matter, I'll crash either way, but still... :laughing: )

The mental aspect of riding is extremely important. If you don't trust them, replace them.

Are you sure your pressure gauge is accurate?

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:34 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

Well my tires will get me past tech, (have to inspect closely yet but i think they are okay) I think I'll take new ones with me and get them changed before any 'hot' laps.

I believe the gauge is accurate enough, it's the operator that is uncalibrated.

I'll check my gauge vs Hammer's fancy one tho at NYST. I only have a $30 oxford gauge... but I doubt if my pressures are a pound off it'll make any difference.

Hell, I'm not even sure what to aim for. I've read articles saying mid to high 20s, dunlop says 32/32, nyst has a board that says 30f/28r.

To me, wouldn't you want to go by the temp right off the track with an ir temp gun? Yea there's a half cool down lap, etc, but you'd know if your combination of pace and pressure had the tires at sticky, but not greasy temp, and make small air adjustments until temps were consistently within a range?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]