View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 pm



Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 R6 track bike 
Author Message
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post R6 track bike
Finally was able to find a dedicated track bike, she will be delivered to me on Saturday. 07 R6 with full Yoshi exhaust lap timer and hot bodies track plastics. I will be taking off the slicks simply because I am no where near fast enough to needing them yet.


Image

Image

Image


Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 pm
Profile
Ride Red or ride nothing!

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 2348
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
Nice!

Hopefully it didn't catch any Hardley germs :lol:

_________________
Jarrod
'06 CBR1000RR (street)
'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"


Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:44 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 10:59 am
Posts: 322
What I ride: .
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa
Post Re: R6 track bike
Im trying to visualize where this build will end up one day... By chance, is your wife overly obsessed with a particular animal?

(I hope he says cows)


Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:25 am
Profile
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
61Cubes wrote:
Im trying to visualize where this build will end up one day... By chance, is your wife overly obsessed with a particular animal?

(I hope he says cows)



Zebras


Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:54 am
Profile
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:56 pm
Posts: 348
Location: bloomsburg
What I ride: ferris zero turn
Location: Bloomsburg, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
Looks like a nice, clean bike. Enjoy!

_________________
-Micah


Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:00 am
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
Awesome! I wonder if there is anything good hiding inside the forks, or if the PO swapped the stock stuff back on. (Seems odd to have slicks and stock suspension) Mazeltov!

If it's not already, I would STRONGLY suggest you send the ECU to be flashed by someone like Bauce Racing. They will raise the idle, (All '06+ R6's have crappy oil pressure at stock idle, especially the 06-07), reduce engine braking, and a few other things (1:1 throttle, etc), for just over $100. It's really money well spent.

Oh, and 61pubes.. :rich:

What's the "right handle bar situation" you mentioned in the other thread?

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:57 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Eskimo wrote:
Awesome! I wonder if there is anything good hiding inside the forks, or if the PO swapped the stock stuff back on. (Seems odd to have slicks and stock suspension) Mazeltov!

If it's not already, I would STRONGLY suggest you send the ECU to be flashed by someone like Bauce Racing. They will raise the idle, (All '06+ R6's have crappy oil pressure at stock idle, especially the 06-07), reduce engine braking, and a few other things (1:1 throttle, etc), for just over $100. It's really money well spent.

Oh, and 61pubes.. :rich:

What's the "right handle bar situation" you mentioned in the other thread?


Just looked into the ECU flash and will defiantly be doing that once I find out what it all has from the owner on Saturday.

I want to clean up the headlight switches and start buttom switches, wont be needing those.


Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:44 pm
Profile
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
dapucker1 wrote:
Looks like a nice, clean bike. Enjoy!



Im really looking forward to learning to ride and not have to switch from street to track trim on my other bike.


Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 pm
Profile
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Mentch171 wrote:
Nice!

Hopefully it didn't catch any Hardley germs :lol:


ha its the owner of the Hardley dealership that is selling it, it was his person bike. judging by the stickers on his 2 gsxr 750s that where right next it in the back he does a lot of track days with pro motion.

One of the mechs said he just became a coach but who knows if that is true.


Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
fz811 wrote:
I want to clean up the headlight switches and start buttom switches, wont be needing those.


What, you gonna bump-start the fawkin' thing? :loser: Seriously though, leave the throttle side alone. Everybody keeps that OEM switch. Even my Yamaha kit harness plugs into it. :) It's a tight fit with a Brembo master and the original style MotionPro throttle, but it still fits.

Ditching the key - there's 2 basic ways. Woodcraft makes a nice plug&play eliminator, or you can do some basic wiring and run a switch in place of the key.

On the clutch side, you have some options. You can certainly take that headlight switch pod off (leave the clutch switch wiring in place though!) and that leaves a spot for a good quality on/off switch.

I have a full '06/'07 wiring harness if you wanted something to strip down (or I could do it for you like I did my '08 harness) and get rid of all the extra crap without having to permanently alter yours.

Let's see... clip-ons, rearsets, steering damper...

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:00 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Eskimo wrote:
fz811 wrote:
I want to clean up the headlight switches and start buttom switches, wont be needing those.


What, you gonna bump-start the fawkin' thing? :loser: Seriously though, leave the throttle side alone. Everybody keeps that OEM switch. Even my Yamaha kit harness plugs into it. :) It's a tight fit with a Brembo master and the original style MotionPro throttle, but it still fits.

Ditching the key - there's 2 basic ways. Woodcraft makes a nice plug&play eliminator, or you can do some basic wiring and run a switch in place of the key.

On the clutch side, you have some options. You can certainly take that headlight switch pod off (leave the clutch switch wiring in place though!) and that leaves a spot for a good quality on/off switch.

I have a full '06/'07 wiring harness if you wanted something to strip down (or I could do it for you like I did my '08 harness) and get rid of all the extra crap without having to permanently alter yours.

Let's see... clip-ons, rearsets, steering damper...



Vortex clip-ons ordered, vortex rear sets ordered, woodcraft frame sliders ordered and spec tank pads ordered.


Went for a little dip around the neighborhood today and the RPM gauge stopped reading. Turned it off them back on, click up to 10 then got stuck and just stayed there, I will tear into it tomorrow and try to figured it out.


Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:48 pm
Profile
MotoGP champ

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 pm
Posts: 509
Location: One turn ahead of Eskimo
What I ride: your mom
Location: Hellertown,PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
steering damper priority one

_________________
Evolve Coach #711
CCS Yellow plate #711


Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:50 pm
Profile
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
johnnyontherocks wrote:
steering damper priority one



any suggestions ?


Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:06 pm
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
fz811 wrote:
johnnyontherocks wrote:
steering damper priority one


any suggestions ?


My bike came with a GPR v4 (recently rebuilt), and it works well enough. However, the resistance you set is also the resistance you feel in the pits, making it a little difficult to steer at low speeds. As I understand it, something like the Ohlins units are valved to allow very little resistance until the bars try to 'whip'.. That would be ideal, but they are also pricey, and I'm not a huge fan of some of the mounts.

The tach thing - I noticed in one of the photos that the needle wasn't sitting at 0 when the power was off. I thought it was odd! Fortunately, clusters are all over the place if you want to replace it, I'm not sure I've heard of a tach failure before. Anything '07+ would be ideal. '06 would even work, but the tach reads about 1,000rpm higher than the engine is actually spinning when you're up in the rev band, which is why the redline doesn't start until 17,500 on the '06 gauges.
Do keep the shell from your old one - When you crash, the mounting tabs on the clusters tend to break. Aftermarket shells are cheap (like $20), but since you'll already have one...

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Eskimo wrote:
fz811 wrote:
johnnyontherocks wrote:
steering damper priority one


any suggestions ?


My bike came with a GPR v4 (recently rebuilt), and it works well enough. However, the resistance you set is also the resistance you feel in the pits, making it a little difficult to steer at low speeds. As I understand it, something like the Ohlins units are valved to allow very little resistance until the bars try to 'whip'.. That would be ideal, but they are also pricey, and I'm not a huge fan of some of the mounts.

The tach thing - I noticed in one of the photos that the needle wasn't sitting at 0 when the power was off. I thought it was odd! Fortunately, clusters are all over the place if you want to replace it, I'm not sure I've heard of a tach failure before. Anything '07+ would be ideal. '06 would even work, but the tach reads about 1,000rpm higher than the engine is actually spinning when you're up in the rev band, which is why the redline doesn't start until 17,500 on the '06 gauges.
Do keep the shell from your old one - When you crash, the mounting tabs on the clusters tend to break. Aftermarket shells are cheap (like $20), but since you'll already have one...


Clusters are about 200 from what I have found Id like to rule out all other possibilities before that.

Shitty cell video of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBUbM9ofSRk

I also notices that the there is only 13 female pins in the and the cluster itself have 15. I am going through the service manual tonight but I have already ruled out rectifier as the battery reads 13.3 v off and 13.94 at idle and after a rev or two it reads a little of 14v per the manual.


Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:54 pm
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
Is there any corrosion on the pins? 13 pins in the plug is correct. If you tap the cluster, does anything happen? what about wiggling the connector at the back of the cluster...or the one down on the right side of the frame where that "dash sub-harness" plugs into? Since there isn't a discrete tach wire from the ECU, I think it might unfortunately be the stepper motor in the tach, but let's hope for an easy fix and check the easy stuff first.

Also, there's a ground on the engine you can get to with the fuel tank lifted, on the left side of the bike, on the top of the transmission area.. make sure that's good - might be worth loosening and re-tightening it.

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:39 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Eskimo wrote:
Is there any corrosion on the pins? 13 pins in the plug is correct. If you tap the cluster, does anything happen? what about wiggling the connector at the back of the cluster...or the one down on the right side of the frame where that "dash sub-harness" plugs into? Since there isn't a discrete tach wire from the ECU, I think it might unfortunately be the stepper motor in the tach, but let's hope for an easy fix and check the easy stuff first.

Also, there's a ground on the engine you can get to with the fuel tank lifted, on the left side of the bike, on the top of the transmission area.. make sure that's good - might be worth loosening and re-tightening it.


no corrosion, all pins looks good and ground are all good. I test everything per the manual and still no luck. The new gauge will be here tomorrow and I will report back.


Well I passed my master diesel tech ASE last Friday and Saturday proceeded to really really mess up the fairings by rushing and not making sure all the bolts where in before I measured and cut the left side for the woodcraft frame sliders. Going to look really butchered but i might be able to find gusset at home depot or something to make it look decent. :banghead:

Ordering a scotts steering stabilizer this week as well.


Mon May 02, 2016 10:07 pm
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
fz811 wrote:
Well I passed my master diesel tech ASE last Friday and Saturday proceeded to really really mess up the fairings by rushing and not making sure all the bolts where in before I measured and cut the left side for the woodcraft frame sliders.


It's OK, they're hotbodies.

Congrats on the cert!

By the way, you NEED some kind of tank protection. My 2 favorites require some painting since they cover much or all of the tank, but several companies sell stick-on ones. I'd bet Moto-D is one of the least expensive.

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Eskimo wrote:
fz811 wrote:
Well I passed my master diesel tech ASE last Friday and Saturday proceeded to really really mess up the fairings by rushing and not making sure all the bolts where in before I measured and cut the left side for the woodcraft frame sliders.


It's OK, they're hotbodies.

Congrats on the cert!

By the way, you NEED some kind of tank protection. My 2 favorites require some painting since they cover much or all of the tank, but several companies sell stick-on ones. I'd bet Moto-D is one of the least expensive.



I was looking at etI tank slides today a little and will probably order them .


Tue May 03, 2016 9:58 am
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
fz811 wrote:
I was looking at etI tank slides today a little and will probably order them .


ETI was one of the 2 on my favorites list. But if you're willing to cover most of the tank, I'd say just get the Sebimoto / Yoyodyne full tank cover (in Kevlar if they have it - The fiberglass one is a little cheaper, and almost as tough, but I like the added durability of the Kevlar). It's easier, and less expensive than the ETI. Justin Levy (on FB) from Trackside Parts Club can get them to you for a really good price.. Do tell him I sent ya over.

The covers are one of the best-kept secrets around. It just requires you to paint it.

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Thanks Rich, got a hold of Justin and will be placing and order for the fiberglass tank cover as there are no kevlar ones right now available.

New gauge cluster came in today and RPM's work perfect now :woot:

Took the bike for a quick test drive around the block, now I wish i had the stock plastics for this thing to ride on the weekend to really test it out.

Coming from a naked bike the riding position is something ill have to get use to.


Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 pm
Profile
MotoGP champ

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 pm
Posts: 509
Location: One turn ahead of Eskimo
What I ride: your mom
Location: Hellertown,PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
If you ar going to take the track thing seriously it may be best you don't ride it on the street, your mind will wrap around Im on this bike and we are going to go fast. Sounds silly but will make sense later. The riding position will make complete sense at speed.

_________________
Evolve Coach #711
CCS Yellow plate #711


Tue May 03, 2016 10:32 pm
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
johnnyontherocks wrote:
If you are going to take the track thing seriously, it may be best if you don't ride it on the street. That way, your mind will wrap around "I'm on *this* bike and we are going to go fast.


Fixed it to make sense, and I agree. Besides, the R6 really isn't a great street bike. (I can see wanting to take it for a quick rip though!)

While plenty of things you learn on the track can help your street riding, being on the same bike isn't one of them. Example: When you street ride, your posture isn't the same. You won't (shouldn't) be as aggressive, and won't be hanging off. If you get used to not doing this, then it will take some adjustment to get back to doing that. But if you have a dedicated track bike, when you swing a leg over it, it'll be like Johnny said.. "OK, time to go fast"

REALLY glad you've got the bugs worked out of the tach thing! It's kinda important. :) (I still struggle to grasp the sound of a screaming 600 sometimes, usually in something like T8/T9 at NJMP. I think I'm at 15k, only to look and see I'm at 11-12k.)

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 am
Profile WWW
AMA superstar
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Posts: 189
What I ride: Yamaha Fz8
Location: Ephrata
Post Re: R6 track bike
Anyone order from pro bolt before ?

Right now I'm using the 1/4 clip style fasteners from amazon since the rivet ones were junk. But i ordered a new set from pro bolt ( should have done that from the start) that are rivet style hoping they get here soon.


Wed May 04, 2016 10:39 am
Profile
Assholio Supremo
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 2731
Location: Danville, PA
What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Location: Danville, PA
Post Re: R6 track bike
fz811 wrote:
Anyone order from pro bolt before ?

Right now I'm using the 1/4 clip style fasteners from amazon since the rivet ones were junk. But i ordered a new set from pro bolt ( should have done that from the start) that are rivet style hoping they get here soon.


I get all my bodywork fasteners (as well as tygon tubing) from kurveygirl.com usually. She typically ships within an HOUR of when you order.. It's impressive.

_________________
Rich Q.
'07-08 Yamaha R6 - Race "the Tiger Bike"
'04 Aprilia Tuono - Street/coaching
'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com


Wed May 04, 2016 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.