View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Q3 competition 
"A" group rider

What I ride: Yamaha R1 (track), Suzuki DL1000, Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom, Zuma PitMONSTER
Post Q3 competition
Gents...since getting hooked up with the CSS crew I've been primarily running Q3s, mostly for their longevity and performance. Seeing how the tires really can't sit on warmers between sessions, more suitable track day/race rubber to me doesn't make sense.
My wonder is...is there anything else out there equivalent to the Q3s longevity AND performance from say Michelin, Pirelli or Bridgestone.
I am NOT brand loyal...I'm checkbook loyal!!!

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:46 pm
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Post Re: Q3 competition
I've never ridden the Q3's but I have heard some decent things about them. I can't personally compare them to Michelins that I've been running. I feel the same way about real race rubber for CSS working days. Just doesn't make sense for me nor am I out riding my track day tires. I've been riding whatever the current gen Michelins are at the time for a long time now. I've never had any lack of grip issues for my pace. Price wise I think it's hard to beat the Q3's isn't it?

Are you working in May?

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
"A" group rider

What I ride: Yamaha R1 (track), Suzuki DL1000, Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom, Zuma PitMONSTER
Mentch171 wrote:
Are you working in May?

At VIR yes, not NJMP. I'm in Savannah now so the trip will be a stretch. But August is still a possibility.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:44 am
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
I liked the Q3s for cornerworking but my front always felt vague. That could have been the stock suspension as it felt vague with Michelins, too. It was a different kind of vague with the Michs, tho', like the suspension was made of wood vs what the hell's going on up there.
Now that my suspension is upgraded, I wouldn't run the Q3s, or any Dunlop. I just don't like the forgiving slide nature of 'em. When they slide, you'll hope to have planned it. Otherwise, you're riding it out against your intended plan(s) until it comes back. The whole time that the front is just plowin' and slowin' you down, you have time for this conversation, "Am I crashing?"
When the rear goes, I never got notice. It would step waaay out, but come back. Again, not planned for and a serious time killer that pegs the puckometer. You don't have time for a conversation, your thoughts go straight to "FUCK!"
If you have the skills to plan your slides, yeah, Dunlop all day long.

Michelin PowerSports, whether any brand provides good feedback (are we that good?), tell you if they're gonna slide the front RIGHT before you do. No matter, you don't have time for a conversation. They come RIGHT back, assuming, as in all cases, you don't do anything stupid. Same with the rear but you don't get much of a notice. The slide seems more like a skip over a surface irregularity that the suspension couldn't keep up with. As soon as the slide starts, it's over before you can think about it.
Can you plan to slide Michelins? Yeah, but you gotta be really pushin' the envelope or they'll just snap right back in line.

What about race rubber, why not?
They come up to temp in a lap or two, then you can really kill it.
Race rubber is designed to be burnt up. Heat cycles? Pfft. For cornerworking, the tire will be gone about the same time cycling takes the wind out of their sails. I've gone days on race fronts; the rears, two to three. The grip is always there at school pace, 85-90%. Lunch is what, 90-95%?
Street rubber, half a lap to a lap before you can almost kill it. Then they'll slowly progress into greasy/scary (overheated) while you're tryin' to kill it...not really a good choice cuz once they go greasy, you'll never sustain laptimes for any further sessions. You'll want to get off of 'em at the soonest opportunity...it's no fun riding slow. If there's any rubber left, it's now a "street only" tire...with thousands of miles to go. If you grease 'em on day one, that's it. They're done for the track.

Q3 vs PowerSport? They both have a similar lifespans on the track. I could get a dozen days out of the fronts and half a dozen out of the rears. (Race rubber is half that, including a tire flip).
The Q3's one saving grace is, I think they're more tolerant of overheating. Their balance is shit after some wear, I've already mentioned grip, they have good longevity and, directly to your point, they're cheap.
The PowerSports are grip that you can feel, good balance throughout the wear, good mileage and not really that expensive. That extra $30, or whatever, is worth it.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 am
"A" group rider

Good points, Fred. Never really thought of it in terms of heat cycles v performance/longevity. I used to run Mich's back in the Pilot Power heydays...why not go back to a tried and true brand. I also want to push a bit harder than I've felt comfortable doing on sets of Q3s that have full day or two of CSS time on them.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:47 pm
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
Some people can ride a tire, any tire, to the cords.
I stop when they stop being grippy or are so worn that they make the bike handle differently...like getting over that edge that can develop on the rear. You don't want to be on the gas while transitioning that narrow ridge. :o

I misnamed the Michs I was referring to. I meant SuperSport Power. Check this thread link for pics of wear, etc. :D
http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads ... on.325193/
These may be the EVO SuperSport Power...can you say mileage?
Currently runnin' the EVO Cups...the street compounds can't take the abuse.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:35 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
Long story short, I don't think you'll find anything that's as checkbook friendly as the Q3's that are OK in the pace you run, considering they're often for sale for $200 for the pair. Disclaimer: I haven't priced the Michelin's.

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Eskimo wrote:
Long story short, I don't think you'll find anything that's as checkbook friendly as the Q3's that are OK in the pace you run, considering they're often for sale for $200 for the pair. Disclaimer: I haven't priced the Michelin's.

Michelin's ain't anywhere near $200. I can tell you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]