View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 R6 racebike build/rebuild 
AMA superstar

What I ride: ferris zero turn
Post Re: R6 racebike build/rebuild
Lookin good

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:06 pm
Assholio Supremo

What I ride: Look over there ---------->
johnnyontherocks wrote:
Now lets try to keep it looking this way

FFFFUFFFuuuuuuuuuuu :wave:

'06 KTM XC-W 200 - braaap!
'14 Zuma 155 - Yeah, it's striped, too.
CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING
GET IT!!! http://www.richquinlan.com

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Sharp-Sighted Shooter of Substantially Separated Steels (but can't hear shit)

What I ride: CBR1000RR
johnnyontherocks wrote:
Now lets try to keep it looking this way

:lol:

Nicole let you use a crayon? :poke:

It needs finishing touches and I have a thought...
I always put electrical tape over my DZUS, not both halves were attached to bodywork. If you have that issue, it's just peace of mind, three, short strips of e-tape applied at the same angle as the stripes might blend inconspicuously with the stripes. It sucks trying to find a matching fastener if you have no matching spares.

You already told me the finishing touch. I think that would definitely put it over the top.

<long pause>

Okay, I just zoomed your pics...harsh constructive criticisms to follow. :hammer:
:D
Where's the left H-bar end? That shouldn't pass tech.
Take a file to your left rearset, toe pedal(address the rubber in any fashion deemed appropriate), clutch lever, lower fork, frame slider and case saver. Dress 'em. Cover the work with a shot of paint. The case savers and swingarm pads(on upper beams) could be made a matching orange.
What're the ideas behind your sticker placement? If you haven't stuck 'em yet, perhaps a horizontal alignment starting a little higher while separating the stickers into groups...race/track orgs, sponsors, supporters, etc. Do they need to be seen as one big, indistinguishable graphic or do they need to be focus points? Gawd knows there's enough orange. Show some of the white.
Upper fairing fasteners. Zip-ties. Little ones. You want them to pop in the event of a more spectacular get-off. ;)
The mirror block-offs? Speed inhibitors. Toss 'em. Make something flush...with zip-ties.
What'd I forget....
Oh, yeah. That rear tire... You need to ride it harder. All that loose-looking, balled-up rubber is an indication of not getting on the gas hard enough out of turns. Add enough throttle to allow the tire to clean itself. You turned darkies on the Ape, do it on this, too.
One more thing. You're missing a fastener on your tailpan.

:mrgreen:

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:38 pm
Assholio Supremo

funfred wrote:
1: Where's the left H-bar end? That shouldn't pass tech.
2: Take a file to your left rearset, toe pedal(address the rubber in any fashion deemed appropriate), clutch lever, lower fork, frame slider and case saver. Dress 'em. Cover the work with a shot of paint.
3: The case savers and swingarm pads(on upper beams) could be made a matching orange.
4: What're the ideas behind your sticker placement? If you haven't stuck 'em yet, perhaps a horizontal alignment starting a little higher while separating the stickers into groups...race/track orgs, sponsors, supporters, etc. Do they need to be seen as one big, indistinguishable graphic or do they need to be focus points? Gawd knows there's enough orange. Show some of the white.
5: Upper fairing fasteners. Zip-ties. Little ones. You want them to pop in the event of a more spectacular get-off. ;)
6: The mirror block-offs? Speed inhibitors. Toss 'em. Make something flush...with zip-ties.
7: Oh, yeah. That rear tire... You need to ride it harder. All that loose-looking, balled-up rubber is an indication of not getting on the gas hard enough out of turns. Add enough throttle to allow the tire to clean itself. You turned darkies on the Ape, do it on this, too.
8: One more thing. You're missing a fastener on your tailpan.

You're unfortunately right on most of that. Some of it I'm amazed you could even see from a cell phone pic!

1: It arrived today, as did a new LH rearset and footpeg. That rearset is from my spares. EDIT: Replaced.
2: You're right, I should paint the bare aluminum. EDIT: Done! 2b: I'm so hesitant to remove any more material from a slider...but it would look nicer.
3: Could be.. but I think I'd make it look worse by painting it myself.
4: The idea was to put all of them down in the white area, but yeah, I see what you mean about moving them up a little... I'll experiment tonight. (EDIT: Damnit, Fred was right. We liked how they look a little higher.) Unfortunately,they ALL need to be there, as other than Pirelli & Penske, they're all either sponsors or contingency sponsors. I could ditch the Vortex ones up front since I do already have large decals on the swingarm. EDIT: Vortex gone
5/6: You're talking about the same things, right, since the mirror block offs are what hold the upper onto the bike? I wanted something secure, but get the idea of it being a fuse.. Hmm. EDIT: Zip ties.
7: Bite me. :D I have 1.5 days riding this bike. It'll get there, but I do need to get on the throttle while leaned over. I'm bad about maintenance throttle while at lean, but you should have seen it Saturday afternoon!! It was terrible. EDIT: Still.. Bite me. :rich:
8: I know.. it's driving me fucking crazy. ATech was supposed to source me one, but they forgot. I'll probably replace them with d-ring dzus's. EDIT: Ordered from Kurveygirl.com

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thanks to my 2017 sponsors! METRIC DEVIL MOTO / PIRELLI TIRE | SCORPION | WOODCRAFT | VORTEX | PARTS CLUB | HAZARDOUS RACING

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm
Profile WWW

Eskimo wrote:

You're unfortunately right on most of that. Some of it I'm amazed you could even see from a cell phone pic!

7: Bite me. :D I have 1.5 days riding this bike.

:rich:

I just click on the pic in the thread and it blows up nicely. Then I zoomed. :D
I may have to add them to my pics...you know, ideas and such.

Here lookin' at your alternate pan.

- Does CCS specify their org's sticker placement?
- Frame slider - I meant more of a cleaning up than a reshaping. Knock off any burrs, a small radius or bevel around the circumference but otherwise just smoothing it up a bit. Maybe hit the thing with just sandpaper.
- The alternate. Yup. That's my choice. When you're cornerin' low, all that white will be showin'. It'll look more dramatic in and out of turns...flashy, yet civilized, and your stickers don't get sandblasted - as much.
- That's another consideration for placement. Where will they not get blasted? Can you work with that?
- Fairing fastening...minimum three points. Whatever can be done to make it a quick R/R. As you sussed, zip-ties are a fuse.
- Rear axle, leftside. Looks like it needs cleanin'. :lol:
- ...kept getting distracted. It looks good. Can't wait for the final stripes.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:17 pm
Assholio Supremo

funfred wrote:
- Does CCS specify their org's sticker placement?
- Frame slider - I meant more of a cleaning up than a reshaping. Knock off any burrs, a small radius or bevel around the circumference but otherwise just smoothing it up a bit. Maybe hit the thing with just sandpaper.
- The alternate. Yup. That's my choice. When you're cornerin' low, all that white will be showin'. It'll look more dramatic in and out of turns...flashy, yet civilized, and your stickers don't get sandblasted - as much.
- That's another consideration for placement. Where will they not get blasted? Can you work with that?
- Fairing fastening...minimum three points. Whatever can be done to make it a quick R/R. As you sussed, zip-ties are a fuse.
- Rear axle, leftside. Looks like it needs cleanin'. :lol:
- ...kept getting distracted. It looks good. Can't wait for the final stripes.

CCS just says their decals must be "clearly visible", and it would be for photos in the new location (Just above the numberplate on the bellypan)
I have LOTS and lots of decals.. they're cheaper than paint! I'll peel & replace as needed. It's amazing how generous they are with promotional stuff. It's almost like they want me...to...promote? :D
Rear axle.. fuck.. you're absolutely right. that does need to be dressed a little. HOPEFULLY I'll have a few minutes this afternoon to do it. I feel like there's so much to get cleaned up / packed up so I can leave on time tomorrow morning. I hate to rush it, because even with the checklist, I always forget shit when I'm rushed.

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Eskimo wrote:
I hate to rush it, because even with the checklist, I always forget shit when I'm rushed.

Well don't forget Johnny's decals. He said he'll :twak: and :hammer: you if you do.

If I don't talk to you before then, good luck this weekend!

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

Got a good deal on a set of freshly powder coated wheels that match the bike..
Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1430272418590.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430272418590.jpg [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

And, also started doing the rim stripes on the black wheels.. Nice difference!
Before:
Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1430272461165.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430272461165.jpg [ 2.48 MiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

After:
Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1430272478844.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430272478844.jpg [ 2.46 MiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

With the tapeworks tool, even a tool like me can do it!

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
AMA superstar

What I ride: ferris zero turn
Nice job, Rich. Btw- this is the stripping tool I had mentioned:
http://www.eastwood.com/beugler-deluxe- ... g-kit.html

Wed May 06, 2015 7:41 pm
Assholio Supremo

dapucker1 wrote:
Nice job, Rich. Btw- this is the stripping tool I had mentioned:
http://www.eastwood.com/beugler-deluxe- ... g-kit.html

That's cool!

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thu May 07, 2015 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

So yeah, it worked. Well, it helped. it saved the end cap from major rash/destruction in my turn1 lowside. The can still hit the swingarm and has dents along the body, and the protector did come off the muffler. Not sure if it was because of the 2 layers of heat tape that was under it (suggested for "racing" applications because of heat), or if I didn't crank down tight enough on it.

But, with all that, I'm buying another. The can is still usable and let me finish the weekend, and that's the best you can hope for.

Eskimo wrote:
I took packageman's suggestion, and ordered a half muffler protector from motohose.com
Attachment:
IMG_20150316_194841.jpg

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 am
Profile WWW
MotoGP champ

What I ride: vespa scooter
good to know. with the can just out there in such a vulnerable spot for a right side low side, I guess your experience is all to expect.

2010 Coolster 110 cc pit bike (chinese honda crf knockoff)
2010 Subaru Forester XT, stage 2.5 (track hauler and #2 most common lesbian vehicle)
02 Suzuki TL1000-R (slayed by the dragon) I will miss you girl
Cannondale Prophet MTB
"Be the person that your dog thinks that you are."

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 am
Assholio Supremo

While the engine is being freshened, and upon his recommendation, I got a Yamaha "Kit" ECU and harness. This is what's in the MotoAmerica and Graves bikes, and is the basis for what all of the "flash tune" guys offer.

It does a few things-
1: My engine builder & tuner (Chris Maher / Maher Motorsports) prefers them over a piggyback or over a "flashed" setup, saying it's very quick to work in the interface, making tuning a faster process.
2: You can adjust ignition and fueling curves and store them in 2 maps, selectable with a switch on the clip-on. (Bazzaz lets you adjust fueling maps, but not ignition) One for regular gas, and one for oxygenated $$$ gas.
3: Direct control over a quickshifter - a dynojet sensor plugs right into the harness. the delay is adjustable for each per gear in the ECU.
4: Saves a few pounds over a stripped stock harness + Bazzaz, several over a full stock harness + Bazzaz
5: Has provisions for telemetry - Throttle position, RPM, mph and water temp - I'm wanting to get the expansion module for my new lap timer, and would be able to overlay this into the data coming from it, and then overlay that onto a video. Primarily, that would show me when I'm actually getting into the throttle (and how hard / fast), and not have to guess by the sound from the crappy mic in the camera.
6: It's clean and only has what you need... nothing you don't.
7: It moves the engine coolant temp to the bigger display, moving speed over to the smaller display.
8: Stuff I had already done with my OEM harness - keyless power, higher idle speed, etc..

Outrageously priced from Graves (the only one you can buy it for new at $1400), but deals do pop up from time to time, usually around $700-800. But, because it also does away with the cooling fans, I wouldn't really recommend it for a trackday guy until they're sure they won't be idling for an extended period of time..

In theory, with the refreshed engine, better control over the ignition map, and on the $$ gas, I should pick up close to 10rwhp.. 3-5 on the same gas as before. Worth the money? Not really, but I'm on that end of the bang-for-the-buck curve. I'll know on April 14th when we tune the bike!

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Ride Red or ride nothing!

What I ride: '01 RC51 (street),'06 CBR1000RR (street),'01 RC51 (track)
Holy shit dude. You'll fry your brain with all that data. Sounds cool as hell though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'01 RC51 #896 (track)
'01 RC51 #158 (street)
'06 Big Ruckus (battle scooter)
'08 Rincon
In track day club limbo #171
California Superbike School corner marshal @ NJMP

"...and it all adds up"

Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:37 am
Profile WWW
MotoGP champ

What I ride: vespa scooter
I feel confident that Rich can keep all that data straight and actually put it to use. Personally, I still have trouble walking while chewing bubalicious.

2010 Coolster 110 cc pit bike (chinese honda crf knockoff)
2010 Subaru Forester XT, stage 2.5 (track hauler and #2 most common lesbian vehicle)
02 Suzuki TL1000-R (slayed by the dragon) I will miss you girl
Cannondale Prophet MTB
"Be the person that your dog thinks that you are."

Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:43 am
Assholio Supremo

packageman wrote:
I feel confident that Rich can keep all that data straight and actually put it to use. Personally, I still have trouble walking while chewing bubalicious.

Try starting with Orbitz.. smaller pieces. Baby steps. :)

What sucks is I already know places where I'm not doing this well enough.. I'm hoping video proof with data will force me to sack up and do what I know needs to be done.

Jimmy Fotinopolous doesn't post many videos, but if you want to see some great examples of "Don't coast...ever", as well as what a 140rwhp R6 looks like from the saddle, friend him on Facebook. The videos he posts occasionally are nothing short of fucking awesome. If you didn't know everyone in the videos are in the same class, you'd think he was picking on the SV's. Nevermind that he turns 50 this year!

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

For ONCE, it benefitted me to keep useless wire scraps from other projects! (I had thinned out my original wiring harness of all the street stuff, and kept it all for no good reason)

Well, the plug in the harness for a quickshifter didn't come with the female half. Maybe it was never there, maybe the PO lost it. Dig through the bag of bits, and viola'! The stock harness had something I was able to use.
There's also a capped plug that provides switched 12v - how very polite of YEC to know that we might have other modules, transponders, etc. that need power. Just had to salvage a couple of the proper-sized pins to fit into the plug, and boom.. no more tapping into other wires!

Other little things while I wait for the engine...
--Working on fiberglassing the stock seat pan (The model magic clay never fully hardened and crushed down in some spots), so I mixed 3M "Glass bubbles" into fiberglass resin and filled in the low spots. Then, cover it with 2 pieces of fiberglass, and then re-glue the HTMoto seat pad back on. Cheaper than the Sharkskinz replacement seat pan, but certainly not easier! I hope it comes out OK.
--Got all 8 injectors cleaned and flow matched, everything in the throttle bodies and airbox is cleaned and setup.
--Swapped out the fuel pump - Nothing wrong with the old one, but trying to run the '08 fuel lines with the '07 pump (which has the fuel line fitting at a different angle), I actually kinked the line a little. I'm guessing it didn't hurt power because I rarely got out-motored, but it certainly wasn't ideal or proper.
--Still need to clean up the brake caliper pistons and push some fresh fluid through it. Probably do that tonight or tomorrow.

The bike looks like it's soooo far from being ready, but there isn't much I can do until the engine is back, which looks like we'll be bringing it back with us from the Philly airport late Tuesday night! Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning will be when it goes back in. Get the radiator re-installed & filled, wire everything up, and hopefully it fires. Thursday afternoon is load up everything for the weekend and head down to Maher's shop - break it in and tune it on the dyno, then a short trip to Jersey for Friday's practice. See Jarrod? Always SOMETHING at last minute. In this case, it's just a whole LOT of something.

Hey Fred, ya wanna drink some beer and supervise next Wednesday afternoon/evening?

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:05 am
Profile WWW

Eskimo wrote:
For ONCE, it benefitted me to keep useless crap from other projects! (fixed :D)

Hey Fred, ya wanna drink some beer and supervise next Wednesday afternoon/evening?

Is it any wonder my "shop" looks like it did? And, yeah, I'll implore the Sun to hang out a little longer. Please give me a reminder and any list of things you may need...
How are you on rags? I have a garbage bag of hotel bath and hand towels, plus washcloths. They have that hotel "disinfected with scalding hot bleach" smell and are a lot more absorbent than shop rags, so no worries of Johnny-junk passin' to your project and you'll be able to easily clean up after you splooge on your finely finished results. :lol:

Totally diggin' the separate gear tuning features of your brains.
When's the telemetry package comin'? :banana:

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:18 pm
Assholio Supremo

funfred wrote:
Please give me a reminder and any list of things you may need...
How are you on rags? I have a garbage bag of hotel bath and hand towels, plus washcloths.

Can never have too many shop rags. I use a LOT of paper towels normally. :roll:

funfred wrote:
When's the telemetry package comin'? :banana:

Whenever there's a spare $150 burning a hole in my pocket that I have nothing better to spend it on (I can't remember the last time THAT was, especially during race season!).. It's just the 4-channel expansion box for this: http://www.motodracing.com/motorcycle-g ... start-next - I think because the kit ECU outputs those signals for me, no other interfaces are needed.

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:41 pm
Profile WWW

That stuff's beyond me (I'm from the RCA connector era) but it seems you have most of the electronics available, why not finish it off was my thinkin'...brake, throttle, suspension, g-stuff, etc. Prolly more than $150, tho'. :D

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm
Assholio Supremo

funfred wrote:
That stuff's beyond me (I'm from the RCA connector era) but it seems you have most of the electronics available, why not finish it off was my thinkin'...brake, throttle, suspension, g-stuff, etc. Prolly more than $150, tho'. :D

:shock:

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

Not much to show yet, but I haz more switches on the left bar now.. The run/stop is the master power switch (and for some reason it's backwards.. "stop" is power on, but the spring is stronger that way anyway, so I'm ok with it), and the other is the map selector.
I have all of them set so that "down" = "go", just like the normal right handlebar switch.

Sent from my Samsung S7 while driving, eating, and texting..

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Assholio Supremo

More work re-shaping the seat pan.. Next time, just buy the Sharkskinz pan...

CCS Expert #128
EvolveGT coach #128

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
THE rabid chipmunk

What I ride: 08 ZX6R, 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000R factory
Eskimo wrote:
More work re-shaping the seat pan.. Next time, just buy the Sharkskinz pan...

But what fun is that :poke:

EvolveGT Coach #601

I feel the need, the need for speed.
Cause you never see a sport bike
parked in front of a psychiatrist office!

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:01 pm

I hate fiberglas and any other quick-curing fiber/resin composite.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next